Sunday, March 02, 2008

Death Valley Day 3


OK - so the videos kind of stink, but they make me laugh. On day 3 we got up before dawn to go shoot Zabriskie point. Fortunately, the sun was able to peak under the horizon of clouds for just long to capture these shots....



Watching the sun rise and illuminate the landscape in front of me was surreal. In between shivers and blowing on my hands to warm myself up after a frigid night I leaned over and said to Colin, "Dude, I'm checking into the hotel tonight. I can't do another night like last night." He responded, "Cool, I'll join you." :)

(disclaimer) I know I am making fun of myself for being a wuss but, honestly, Colin and I were both getting over colds. Our better halves were gracious enough to allow us to go on this trip and coming home needing a week to recover would not be so nice. :)

We headed back to the campsite and packed up our stuff, checked into the hotel, and grabbed a quick shower before heading out again for the day. Armed with a bag of beef jerky, 1/2 dozen granola bars, and 4 bottles of water we piled into Colin's monsta' truck for a 4x4 ride out to the Race Track. Thirty miles of unpaved, super bumpy roads later, we arrived at this awesome location. Make sure to read THIS about the moving rocks. Weird.




TJ


With one more morning of shooting left, things were looking up!

6 Comments:

Blogger JenDavis said...

Ha! I love that you checked into a hotel.. too funny!

10:53 PM  
Blogger LuckyRedHen said...

Hey, that's fun to read about the moving rocks and I lovelovelove your picture of one!

2:49 AM  
Blogger Mary Beth Tyson Photography said...

WOW! Awesome shots!!

10:27 AM  
Blogger Jen Stewart Photography said...

Awesome photos Jason. So I'm wondering, did you guys see any rocks that moved? :)

4:11 PM  
Blogger colinmichael said...

Hey, I've got no problems with hotels! If I'm not hiking all day then why sleep on the ground when there is a perfectly good bed 1/4 mile away :)

1:57 PM  
Blogger Frank DiMeo said...

Jason, Race Track is one of my favorite places on earth! That is a great shot of the rock, aren't they amazing? The quietness, and vastness of the whole place add to the spookiness too. We did that off road route everyday for almost a week. It is very weird before sunrise because there are so many kamikaze rabbits.

1:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home