Sunday, February 24, 2008

Back from Death Valley!

I'm back! I just returned from my 4 day photo trek in Death Valley, CA with some of my buddies. What an incredible place! While it is one of the most forbidding places on earth, the vast stretches of land surrounded by beautiful mountain ranges are incredible. This trip had many firsts for me:

It was the first time I ate beef jerky. :) While it was tasty, I think there is a reason I've never eaten it.

The first time I heard coyotes howling. Umm. I'm sorry, but they are scary sounding, despite the rest of the guys laughing at me.

The first lunar eclipse I've seen, and being so far from the city light, it was unreal.

The brightest moon and stars I've ever seen. So bright you could walk around without needing a flashlight. This came in handy for our walks back to the campsite from the saloon down the road. :)

While this trip had many firsts I think it might be the last camping trip I'm going on. Freezing my a-- off on the ground listening to people snore (not naming names) with background vocals from coyotes is enough for me. :) After two nights on the ground, I talked Colin into checking into the motel next to the campsite. Call me a wuss, but losing another night of sleep was too much! :)

Thanks guys for an amazing time and big-time thanks to Colin for planning the trip!
Here's one quick photo of us at Tea Kettle Junction. More to come soon!

Pictured below - TJ Cameron, me, John Griffin, and Colin Michael. Unfortunately, Tim had to take off the night before. Hope you made it back safe!

8 Comments:

Blogger LuckyRedHen said...

Look at all those handsome fellas! Glad you made it back safe and that you're a man of my own non-camping heart ;-)

9:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what a fun trip! wish I could have stayed longer!

Man... you guys got some sunlight!!!!

12:42 AM  
Blogger colinmichael said...

Good times! We've gotta make this an annual thing...maybe Yosemite next year...at the 4 star Awahanee Hotel! :)

11:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like you guys had fun in the middle of nowhere!

1:55 PM  
Blogger Frank DiMeo said...

ha ha, I know Tea Kettle Junction!

I will have to share my first time hearing coyotes howling sometime with you Jason. It is a good story!

Never had beef jerky? Duuuuudde!

Death Valley is one of my favorite places on earth! Hope you enjoyed it and got some really cool images

2:30 PM  
Blogger jason groupp said...

Awahanee Hotel it is! 4 days without internet was BR-UTAL! :) Frank, I can't believe you've been to Tea Kettle Junction! Dude - that is a pretty out of the way spot! Next trip - you're coming!

4:52 PM  
Blogger Stak Images said...

sounds like fun, I wish I could have seen the eclipse from out there, I bet it was awesome!

12:43 PM  
Blogger ed pingol said...

sweet!!!

i heard about this trip from griffin. man, what a power group. so very jealous and intimidating. ;)

best,
//ed

3:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home